What’s it Like to Work in Australia? – RatPack Travel



What’s it Like to Work in Australia?

Share this blog:

Working holidays are the ideal way to make money as you travel – if you’re gonna want to see it all – you’re gonna need a decent amount of cash. Applying for a working holiday visa is super easy and well worth having if you’re keen on staying in Oz for a long period of time – and believe me, once you get there you’ll never want to leave!

We’ll be sharing our tips all about

  • Our experiences of working in Australia
  • The low down on applying for jobs
  • Whether you should work or travel first
  • AND where to actually find jobs?

Over to you Holly!

Holly's Experience Working in Australia

A bit about my travels:

I travelled around Australia for half a year. Myself and my boyfriend both applied for working holiday visas before we headed out there as we were in desperate need for some more cash to ensure we could stay in the country for a decent amount of time. We both found it surprisingly easy to get a job (luckily) and it really did give us that little push to be able to see and do everything on our Ozzie bucket list.

How did you find a job?

For me it was a case of the good old fashioned method of handing around CV’s to pretty much every single cafe and shop on the high street. For my boyfriend, he found his job straight away on Gumtree.

We were based in Manly, Sydney when we were on the job search. I would advice that you look for a job in a city as there will be a lot more choice and opportunity.

What was it like working and travelling?

It really wasn’t that bad. I did only work for a couple of months, but it was nice to settle down in a place and treat it like home. Getting up to go to work and having to be somewhere at a certain time was a welcome change from lounging around, lying on the beach and constant travelling up the coast.

Where did you work?

I worked in a little boutique-y homeware/clothing shop on the beach front – it was lush! Plus, the pay over there is a lot higher than in the UK. I guess it is relative to how much everything costs, but £10 an hour felt preeettttyyyy good.

Your Questions answered....Should I travel or work first?

Of course it is completely up to you – this is your adventure – but we would advise that you travel first and then work. Why?

  • Have a bit of fun before settling down to boring ol’ work
  • Check out the East Coast first and then decide which place you vibe with and where you would like to base yourself
  • Make connections as you travel and you may fall in to work or meet others trying to find jobs too

Before applying for jobs...

Before you begin applying for jobs, make sure you’ve got a couple of things sorted. Then you can get rolliingggg…

  • Apply for a working holiday visa – you can do this online
  • Set up an Australian bank account. Go in to the bank to do this in person when you get to Oz and don’t forget to bring ID
  • Treat it as a real job, not just a jolly – hard work gets you money = better travel timesssss

Getting a working holiday visa...

A working holiday visa will allow you to stay in Australia for 12 months compared to a tourist visa which only allows 3 months.

The visa costs £370 – you can apply online directly with the Australian Immigration.

You can leave and come back during this period.

If you’d like to stay longer than 12 months, you can be entitled to a second working holiday visa if you complete at least 88 days of farm work, fruit picking or construction work during your time there.

How to find a job?

Finding a job can be a pretty hit or miss process. Just be patient and keep on applying…Here are some tips to get you started:

  • Online job boards (check out Seek and Gumtree)
  • Drop off some CVs around the place
  • Face to face is the way – You’ll find Aussies are super cruisy and would rather meet you in person
  • Check out job boards in your hostel
  • Ask your hostel if they’re looking for any work in return for free stay
  • DON’T bother to apply to anywhere before hand – get a feel for the place first

Anything else?

Here are some extra tips and tricks to get you fully in the know on all things working holiday visa…

  • In NSW, if you want to work in a bar, you are required to have a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. This involves being trained for the job.
  • If you’re having no luck, move on and try another location – cities are the best for job seeking
  • It is extremely difficult to find a job in Byron Bay in the middle of summer. Myself and some of my friends had no luck, try to apply before the summer season begins around October!
  • We recommend heading out to Aussie with some savings behind ya so you aren’t totally reliant on finding work straight away.
  • Whatever you do, never pay some one to submit your visa application for you, its SO easy to do online…
  • Don’t get a job as soon as you land, explore and enjoy Aussie and get travelling! Hit us up for unreal discounts….

Unreal Experiences..

Chat to our Team

We operate a 24/7 service across multiple time zones. Our RatPackers have all been there and done it! Get the ball rolling on your upcoming trip. Send over your rough travel plans (including your flight details / dates). If you are yet to book a flight and seeking advice – HIT US UP ↡

I hope my tips and tricks have given you everything you need to know if you’re keen on working in Australia. Just remember to persevere and be patient, someeeeee place has gotta take you! But most importantly, don’t forget to enjoy yourself RatPack Style. 

Yewwwwwwwwwwwwww Holly (RPT Blog Writer) 

Stay Tuned for my next piece…


Cheapskate survival kit


Personalised Travel Calendar

Our team love to eat cookies! We’ve added them to the site to improve your experience, we’ll assume you’re ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.

Our team love to eat cookies! We’ve added them to the site to improve your experience, we’ll assume you’re ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.

× WhatsApp us